- Thank you for visiting the Contra Costa Crisis Center’s Crisis Chat. Crisis Chat provides emotional support in a time of crisis. Crisis Chat is not therapy as it is a time limited service that focuses on the current crisis at hand.
- We are committed to the privacy of our visitors. We collect no personal information about you when you visit our web site unless you choose to provide that information to us. To maintain quality service, basic information is requested of you when you sign in to Crisis Chat. This includes zip code, nearby landmark, gender, age, and ethnicity. You may choose to log into Crisis Chat anonymously without identifying yourself.
- If the Crisis Chat specialist with whom you are chatting decides that you are a danger to yourself and crisis intervention is needed, the chat specialist will ask you to provide a phone number where staff may contact you. We encourage you to provide that information if requested to maximize collaboration in assuring your safety.
- If you are suicidal or in emotional distress and the chat service is not available, please call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) for more immediate assistance.
- If you or someone you know is currently in the act of harming him/herself and/or in immediate need of medical attention, please dial 911.
Terms of Service:
Automatically Collected and Stored Information
If you do nothing during your visit but log onto the website, we will gather and store certain information about your visit automatically. This information does not identify you personally. We automatically collect and store information similar to the following concerning your visit:
- The internet domain (for example, “xcompany.com”) if you use a private internet access account, or “yourschool.edu” if you connect from a university’s domain
- The type of browser and operating system used to access our site
- The date and time you accessed our site and
- If you linked to our web site from another web site, the address of that web site.
We use this information to help us make our site more useful to visitors, to learn about the number of visitors to our site, and the types of technology our visitors use. We do not automatically track or record personally identifiable information about our web site visitors.
Voluntarily Provided Information by the Visitor
Because your participation in Crisis Chat is not medical care or treatment, Crisis Chat is not responsible for any decisions or results of the decisions that you make as a result of or after participating in Crisis Chat. This includes whether you choose to seek or not seek professional medical or psychiatric care, or to modify or terminate specific treatment that you currently are receiving based on the information provided by this service. In a crisis intervention situation, the chat specialist may ask for your phone number in order to continue the conversation over the phone. Every effort will be made to engage and collaborate without involving emergency responders.
We do not collect personally identifiable information unless you voluntarily provide it to us when you sign into Crisis Chat. If you provide your telephone number for contact by the Crisis Chat specialist, this information will be stored in your record by the crisis center.
Privacy and Security
We take your privacy and security very seriously. Security controls including encryption and authentication are in place to ensure the protection of your information. Any information provided by you or collected on you will only be shared or disclosed in accordance with applicable Federal laws and regulations.
Interaction with Youth
No personally identifiable information is collected from youth visitors unless voluntarily submitted as a request for information or services. This information is used to respond to the user’s inquiries or to provide services requested by the user.
Crisis Chat is committed to making its website accessible to all its visitors and staff in accordance with provisions of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act Amendments of 1998. For funding purposes and to manage accessibility, Crisis Chat at the Contra Costa Crisis Center is focused on clients within the geographical boundaries of Contra Costa County.
By entering this site you expressly acknowledge and agree that Contra Costa Crisis Center Crisis Chat is not responsible for any personal information which you may enter over the internet during transmission. Despite our efforts to protect your information, some level of risk when communicating over the internet is always present.