She wouldn’t give her name or location…

Story of Hope

It was 7 a.m. She was 25, a college graduate, and had gotten up early to go to work, only to fi nd out that her day care wouldn’t take her baby because the baby had colic. It wasn’t anything drastic, but it was the last straw as far as the caller was concerned. As soon as she started talking, our counselor sensed that she was going to kill herself and the baby.

The counselor asked her questions and it came out that when the caller was a child she was molested by her father. Both her parents were alcoholics, and at age nine she was placed in a foster home. Sadly, she was molested there, too.

Her grandmother, who was very old, took it upon herself to raise her. The caller said that her grandmother was the only person who ever loved her.

Several years ago the woman met a man who said he wanted all the things she did—a nice house, a loving family—and they got married. After she became pregnant, though, she learned that he was a secret drug addict and he started beating her.

She kicked him out and started divorce proceedings. By the time the divorce was final, though, before she called us, her grandmother had died and so had her mother. She felt totally alone.

She didn’t want to live any longer, but she was afraid that her ex- husband would get the baby after she was dead. Because of what she had experienced as a child, she couldn’t risk that. She was convinced that it was better for the baby to die with her.

Our counselor started a trace, not knowing how long she could keep the caller on the line. The woman was getting annoyed with the counselor’s questions, the baby was crying, and she said that she just wanted to free them both from their misery.

When the sheriff’s deputy knocked on the woman’s door, our counselor was still on the line with her. The woman started yelling at the counselor, saying that the counselor wanted to stop her from doing what was right. Then the deputy got on the phone. He talked with us about the woman’s situation and it was clear that
he really cared.

Six or seven weeks later the woman called again. She said that instead of taking her to the emergency ward, where most suicidal people go, the deputy took her to a mental health clinic. People there contacted her employer, which took an active interest in her rescue. Her employer gave her time off and was so supportive that the caller felt as if she had found a family. Then she told our counselor that her baby wanted to say hello, and this little child cooed in our ear.

Our counselor knew when the woman first called that if she could just get through this she would make it, and she did.